200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training: 9 Weekends Over 8 Months
Now accepting applications for October 2015
“I am forever changed because of the program. I view myself, my loved ones and the world differently. I think before I react. I am more open-minded, accepting and kind. I feel that all of this shows through in my teaching.” ~ PC
Your Path to Becoming a Phenomenal Yoga Teacher & Practitioner
The Savannah Yoga Center 200-Hour 8-month journey is a total of 9 weekends over 8 months. You’ll work in a timeframe that allows you to fully digest and incorporate new knowledge and skills into your yoga practice as well as your everyday life. While our 8 month program prepares you for teaching yoga to others, it’s not necessary to want to teach yoga to benefit from this training. Whether you choose to teach yoga or not, our 200-Hour training will help you develop your unique style and cultivate your inner voice.
We’ve graduated more than 200 students since launching our 200-Hour yoga teacher training in 2007. Our 200-Hour programs are approved by Yoga Alliance and taught by an expert faculty with over 10,000 hours of training, practice and apprenticeship. Throughout your training, you’ll study and grow your practice with a diverse group of talented instructors who are committed to their yoga lineages.
200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training Curriculum
Yoga History & Philosophy
– Bhagavad Gita, Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras
– The 8-limbed Path
– Sanskrit: Terms and Pronunciation
– Meditation, Pranayama, Chanting
Asanas: Yoga Styles, Postures & Anatomy
– Intro to Hatha Styles: Lotus Flow, Jivamukti, Ashtanga, Integral, Restorative, Yin, Kundalini, Iyengar
– Intro to Therapeutic Yoga
– Alignment-based Principles
– Anatomy and Physiology
Teaching Yoga & Wellness
– Student Assists and Modifications
– Conscious Communication
– Techniques and Methodology
– Observing, Sequencing and Planning
– Women’s Issues, from Fertility to Menopause
– Intro to Ayurveda
Building a Personal & Professional Practice
– Intentions: Living Yoga On and Off the Mat
– Addressing Burnout
– Establishing a Home Practice
– The Business of Teaching Yoga
– Yoga Teacher Ethics
All titles are available for purchase at Savannah Yoga Center. If your local mom-n-pop bookstore carries these titles, please support your community and buy local.
– Teaching Yoga, Mark Stevens
– Anatomy and Asana: Preventing Yoga Injuries, Susie Hately Aldous
– Back Care Basics, Mary Pullig Schatz
– Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving into Stillness, Erich Schiffmann
– Light On Yoga, BKS Iyengar
– The Concise Book of Muscles, Chris Jarmey
– Bhagavad Gita (Stephen Mitchell translation)
– The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Swami Satchitananda
– Heart of Yoga, Desikachar
– The Breathing Book, Donna Fahri
– The Miracle of Mindfulness, Thich Nhat Hanh
Coursework: Emphasis & Requirements
– Commitment to the program in its entirety
– Practice meditation/pranayama 5-20 minutes a day
– Practice asana a minimum of 60 minutes a day, 6 days a week
– Daily journal writing to record your home practice
– One research paper of 5-10 pages (topics assigned 1st weekend; due on 8th weekend)
– Several 1-2 page book reports and biographies
– Attend and evaluate 2-3 different level yoga classes between each weekend session
– Unsupervised student teaching hours totaling at least 12 hours
200-Hour Weekend Program: Fees & Applications*
Tuition: $2395. A deposit of $450 is required to hold your place in the program.
Applications: Applicants must have an established asana practice for a minimum of 6 months. This means practicing physical yoga 3-6 times a week, either in public yoga classes and/or at home. Apply for the Savannah Yoga Center 200-Hour Weekend training online or via email. Please see details and deposit instructions on our Application page.
* If you are a military spouse, you may qualify for educational benefits of up to $4,000 with MyCAA, a career development and employment assistance program offered by the military for military personnel and their spouses. Learn more about MyCAA.
Session Dates & Questions
jan8-10, 2016 – David Keil Anatomy workshop
feb 5-7 & 26-29
may 13-15 graduation
Fridays, 5:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Saturdays, 7:30 – 10:30 a.m. and 1:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Sundays, 8:00 -12:00 pm and 1:00 – 4:00 pm
See what graduating students say about our teacher training program.