What To Bring
- Yoga Mat (If you do not have a mat, we sell mats in our store. Loaner mats are free to those attending NON HOT yoga classes)
- Towel (If you do not have a towel, we sell them in our store. We do not have loaners)
- Comfortable fitted stretchy clothes. Men, wear long shorts or pants
- Bottled water or water container. You can fill up with our filtered water fountain. We do not sell bottles of water in an effort to cut down on wasteful plastic and to be more earth friendly.
- Attend the class that is appropriate for your level of yoga experience
- Don’t take class on a full stomach. Eat a light snack, if needed, before class, but nothing too heavy.
- Come at least 15 minutes early before your first class for registration.
- Health Conditions: IE previous surgery, injury or pregnant? Before class begins tell your teacher about your health conditions.
- Don’t be nervous. Most new students feel a little intimidated, but after only a few classes you’ll feel right at home.
- New Student Form Fill out for quick and easy registration.
- Yoga Etiquette
- Choosing a Yoga Teacher
- Top Ten Reasons to Try Yoga
- Yoga and Stress Reduction
- Yoga and Weight Management
What to Expect
Each class is led by a certified and experienced yoga teacher. The intention or theme of the class is left up to the individual teacher. SYC offers different levels of classes. Attend the class that suits your level of yoga experience or how you are feeling that day. Read class descriptions and teachers bios before attending class to help find the class & teacher best suited for your needs. Listen to your body, breathe and relax, your body knows best. Try several teachers out. There are 17 teachers at SYC and each is different in approach and style.
We start classes on time. Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your first class for registration. Arriving early ensures a stress-free and relaxed first class. The studio is always open 30 minutes before class starts and many students like to come a little early to have quiet time in the yoga room before class begins. Once the teacher steps into the yoga room and class begins, there is a 10 minute grace period, beyond 10 minutes late and you will be turned away. This is for your benefit and the consideration of your fellow students.
Yoga is a Practice Not a Perfect
It’s called a yoga practice, not a yoga perfect. It is not about doing the posture perfectly. No one is going to judge you or criticize you. Give your best effort and attempt all of the postures, you will receive the same therapeutic benefits as someone who is able to do a posture with a high degree of flexibility, balance and strength. The teacher may occasionally offer suggestions or adjustments that will carry you deeper into a pose. As you continue to come to class, you will become more and more comfortable with yourself and your yoga practice.
How Often Should You Practice
Yoga can be a daily practice. The more often you come to class, the quicker you will see results and benefits. We recommend at least 3-4 times per week; Practicing every day for 30 days, you will have a new body, new mind and a new life! We have seen proof of this first-hand.
- Water only in the yoga room. No other beverages allowed.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes before class begins; 15 minutes if it’s your first class. 5 minute grace period for all latecomers. Late entry is ALWAYS at the discretion of the center.
- Shoes and socks should be put in the cubbie room. Bags or purses can be brought in the yoga room.
- Please be silent when you enter the yoga room. Many students use the time before and after class for quiet meditation. Ask questions before or after class, but not during class.
- Refrain from wearing perfume, cologne or strong scents of any kind.
- Turn off cell phones and pagers.
- Wipe down loaner mats and hang in cubbie remove as you leave.
- Free parking available on Anderson and Bull St. You can park in St. Paul’s Greek Church’s paved lot behind the church but not in spaces marked “Hellenic Center” or anytime on Sundays.
- Mats and props are provided for all classes except HOT & DYNAMIC Yoga. Owning your own mat is strongly recommended. We sell all kinds of yoga mats in our boutique.
- HOT YOGA & some Dynamic Classes are heated to 80+ degrees. Bring your own mat, towel, eye pillow & bolster (if you use them) for ALL Dynamic, Ashtanga & Hot Yoga Classes. We also sell them in our boutique if you forget yours.
- Be prepared to practice barefoot with fitted/stretchy comfortable clothes.
Classes Suitable for beginners:
Gentle Flow Yoga
Community Gentle Yoga
Flow and Slow Down
Community Beginners Yoga
Yin Yoga All Levels
Yin & Yang Yoga All Levels
Yin & Flow Yoga All Levels
For More Info on any of our events workshops and classes, please call: